Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter Basket Cakes

These are fun Easter cakes I have made the last few years. Make the pound cake recipe below and cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour (can be longer if the pans are deep -- check for doneness with a toothpick). The recipe can be divided between 4-6 small pans (I use porcelin crocks that I have for serving french onion soup).
Remove the cakes from the pans after cooking(I line the bottom with parchment, oil and flour the bottom and sides, run a knife around the edges when I take them out of the oven, and then let them cool for about 20 minutes before taking out of pans).
Frost the sides with colored frosting and then cover with cut-up pieces of chocolate licorice. Frost the tops with white frosting and cover with coconut (dyed green). Add candy eggs to tops. Use toothpicks to secure licorice handles to the tops.
Pound Cake
2 c butter
3 c sugar
6 eggs
3 c flour
¼ tsp soda
½ tsp almond extract
½ tsp vanilla
1 c sour cream, fold in
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Your Easter cake is adorable! I'll have to try it next year.

Jer, Er and kids said...

I will enjoy this site I know. Thanks for putting this on did you do this one for me?