So, I thought when I set this page up I would regularly share recipes and meal ideas. However, then I got pregnant and sick and stopped cooking. Now that I am trying to prepare food for my family again, I have a back-log of promised recipes. I will not post everything at once -- I am not sure that would be very helpful. But, here are two hits at our house that you can try over the next week, and then I will try to share more.
Kindly posted for Jeffrey's co-workers, who he said may soon begin to believe I don't actually exist!
Spaghetti and Meatballs
This is Mia's favorite meal and what she requested for her birthday last year. I found this recipe on-line and have made only a few modifications. It is not too tough, and turns out really good.
Meatballs
1 lb extra-lean ground beef (I buy the least fat that I can find at the store)
2 slices of bread, broken into small pieces (I even use whole wheat which is what I always have on hand)
1/3 - 1/2 c plain bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (I use an Emeril blend that I found at the store)
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Mix all of the ingredients together, I usually just use my hand, and then form into small balls about 1-1 1/2 inch in diameter. Cook in 1-2 Tbsp olive oil that has been heated over medium heat rolling frequently until all browned. Add to sauce and reserve oil and drippings to cook garlic and onion for sauce.
Sauce
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes (I puree mine since Jeffrey will not eat anything with tomato chunks)
1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
3 ounces tomato paste
1 c water
1/2 Tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (I again use the Emeril blend)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 Tbsp parsley
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
Combine tomato products and water in large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add seasoning and cheese and stir. Add meatballs to sauce. Saute onion and garlic clove in left-over oil and drippings from cooking meatballs. Once cooked through, add 1/4 c water to pan, swish around and add all of the contents into the simmering sauce. Stir well and let the sauce simmer for 1-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
I serve this over whole wheat spaghetti noodles with a green salad. We always love the left-overs from this meal (I think this recipe can serve our family of four -- not including Maggie who prefers her noodles plain -- for 2-3 meals.) When you tire of noodles and still have some sauce and meatballs left, I think they would make an awesome sub sandwich, heated in the oven with some provolone cheese.
Oatmeal Cookies
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 c oil (you can use any vegetable oil, but I like coconut oil the best -- good for you and a great flavor!)
2 eggs
1 1/2 c flour (I always use wheat flour that I have ground from soft white wheat -- more nutritional and in these it tastes great!)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
3 c oats (I like thicker oats -- not the instant variety)
1 c coconut
1 c dried cranberries
3/4 c white chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes
These are my Dad's favorite cookies (with regular raisins and no chocolate) and one of my favorite recipes to adjust a bit. They are good with just chocolate chips and no fruit. It is also yummy if you substitute butter for the oil, blend the oatmeal to make it a fine flour, and then use semi-sweet chocolate chips rather than white and toffee chips instead of cranberries. Enjoy!
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment