I love soup, especially in autumn. I have many recipes to share, but I thought I would start with four that we have had at home over the past few weeks. One thing I love about soup, is that it is a great way to get my kids to eat lots of vegetables. The minestrone soup is a complete meal on its own. And, even Maggie my finicky eater, loved the cauliflower soup. With a little bread and a salad or cut up fruit (it is the time for apples and pears as well, you know) it is an easy and satisfying meal!
Minestrone Soup
Saute in 2 tsp olive oil:
2 cloves garlic
1 onion, diced
½ lb mild Italian sausage
Add:
½ head cauliflower, chopped
2 medium sized zucchinis, chopped
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 c fresh or frozen green beans
2 small yellow squash, chopped
1/4 head of green cabbage, chopped (sometimes I add a cup of baby spinach leaves instead)
Add:
¼ c red cooking wine
3-4 c water and 3-4 cubes beef bullion
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans
Bring to boil and reduce heat to robust simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, adding small shell pasta the last 15 minutes of cooking.
Carrot Soup
Saute in olive oil:
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 inch piece of ginger, minced
Add:
1 medium bag of baby carrots
water to cover carrots and 5-6 chicken bullion cubes
Bring water to boil, reduce to medium heat and cook until carrots are very soft
Pour into blender and purée
Return to pan and add 2 cans evaporated milk
Heat through and serve
Cauliflower Soup
2 heads cauliflower, chopped
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 c water and 6 chicken bullion cubes
Place all ingredients in large soup pan and bring to boil
Cook until cauliflower is very soft
Pour into blender and puree until smooth
Return to pan and add :
1 can evaporated milk
1/3 c grated parmesan cheese
Cook on medium for 5- 10 minutes and serve
French Onion Soup
Saute in 2 tsp olive oil:
4 c sweet onion, vertically sliced
4 c red onions, vertically sliced
Cook for 5 minutes, then add:
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp salt
Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently
Add:
¼ c cooking wine
8 c beef broth (I use water and beef bullion cubes)
¼ tsp fresh chopped thyme
Cover and simmer 2 hours
Scoop into individual crocks and add to each crock:
1 – 1 inch slice of French bread
1 slice of Swiss or Jarlsburg cheese
Broil in oven 2 minutes, or until cheese is toasted.
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've been searching for a good french onion soup recipe...I haven't seen one with red onions in it before. I think I'm going to try this one out! Thanks Emily.
Post a Comment